Pages

Thursday 29 January 2015

Sparrow & Oystercatcher

My darling husband's birthday is on Boxing Day, and that means of course that I'm in double trouble when Christmas is nearing, trying to find two sets of presents for him! :D

For his most recent birthday, I gave him a book and music. They were 'The Discarded Image' by C.S. Lewis, and two albums by singer songwriter Audrey Assad - 'Heart' and 'The House You're Building'. I discovered Audrey's music when a very dear friend of mine sent me a link to one of her videos, and I was immediately won over, not only by her lovely sounding voice and melodies, but also by her lyrics. It's clear they come from her heart, and from time spent meditating on God's Word.

A song by Audrey that I really love is based upon an old and wonderful hymn: 'His Eye is on the Sparrow'. Her version is simply called 'Sparrow', and you can listen to it here. Lyrics are here.

Listening to it the other day made me want to get reacquainted with the classical version of the hymn, and I came across a gorgeous rendition by Kathleen Battle!

Right away it was clear that this was going to be my next Song on the Fridge! :D Here is the printable I made, in case you'd like to have it too:



On Hymnpod, where I found the lyrics, you can also read the very touching story of how this song came to be written, and there is even a free mp3 of the piano accompaniment! :)

Our Lord, who is the Creator of all visible and invisible things, knows every single little critter that ever lived. They are countless, 'yet not one of them is forgotten by God' (Luke 12:6). He dearly loves His creation, and one day will liberate it and bring it 'into the freedom and glory of the children of God' (Romans 8:18-30). It brings tears to my eyes when I think of what the Lord Jesus says: 'You are worth more than many sparrows'!

I call my little girl 'my precious darling', and that's what we are to Him too.

These thoughts reminded me of a story from last spring, that I shared before with my family and friends, on my Romanian blog. It was something that happened while hubby and I and our daughter - codename Bee - were visiting Fyvie Castle and its gardens.

One of the gardens is home to a collection of Scottish fruit trees, and at one point hubby and Bee were exploring one part of it, while I was by myself at a distance.



Suddenly I started hearing a very loud and intermittent sound, and I wondered if an alarm had gone off somewhere. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but when I rejoined the others, I soon discovered that the source of that shrill sound was a small black and white bird nearby, with a long red beak and red round eyes, who was pacing anxiously to and fro in front of us, all the while seemingly telling us off! :D




 

It was my first encounter with an oystercatcher. But what could have been the matter with her? Why was she so apprehensive of us, and why didn't she just fly away if she was afraid? A wee look around quickly made me understand. In one of the big ceramic pots the young apple trees grew in, she had made her nest, and her precious eggs were there, within our easy handreach! She was naturally worried, and was doing what she could to shoo off the potentially perilous visitors!






I did take a few seconds for the snapshots you see here, to remind me of this lovely and caring mama bird, but we retreated rapidly and let her have peace again :)

Even a little oystercatcher is made in His likeness in her small way, and He always wants to gather us under His wings, where we are safe and happy. Please help me always want to run to You: true safety and true freedom are found there.

I would like to leave you with some more verses, and a few more photos from the Fyvie Castle gardens.

Psalm 84, read by David Suchet





























See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment