Pages

Thursday 15 January 2015

Each day holds a surprise

Last Tuesday, I had a few hours all to myself - a very rare treat, as any toddler's mama would know! :D

It was 'now or never' for making a start on my Smashbook! A smashbook can be any book in which little tidbits, pictures and words, are 'smashed', or quickly put together, with the purpose of memory, practice and fun. 

I've seen some great tutorials for turning any kind of book or notebook into a smashbook, but I got a ready-made one in a sale some time last year. It's made by K&Company.

Simple Orange K&Company SMASH folio


I chose a beautiful quote from the writings of Henri Nouwen as the focus of my page. There is a free email list I subscribe to, and excerpts from his books are sent as a 'daily meditation'. His words have often been a great help to me, especially in directing my attention towards the Lord, and making me see my circumstances anew, in the light of His love.

After turning the living room floor into a sea of scrapbooking papers, markers, stickers, punches and washi tape, this was the result: 

Smash page #1


Here is the quote in full:
Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear, or feel it when it comes to us. Let's not be afraid to receive each day's surprise, whether it comes to us as sorrow or as joy. It will open a new place in our hearts, a place where we can welcome new friends and celebrate more fully our shared humanity.
                                                                    - Henri J. M. Nouwen  
One surprise I had while working was to discover that my pretty Laura Ashley velvety rub-ons - bought hmm... three or four years ago? :D - had not aged well, and were sticking to their protective film! 

(Still, I was able to get some of them on the page, if only in part, and the further surprise was that I actually love their 'distressed' look!)

I was forcibly reminded of a wonderfully pertinent article by Brooke McAlary on The Art of Simple blog: Stop saving your stickers! I had kept nodding and nodding my head last week as I was reading, and then here I was, a living example of what those inspired words of wisdom were all about! :D Can't cease to marvel at God's sense of humour. Anyway, if you're afflicted with sticker-saving too, please go read that article right now! 

Well, it feels great to have made a start. And to have managed to tidy everything away before hubby returned from work (!!!). 

But gathering all my supplies roundabout me from their various nooks and crannies took me half the time on this project. A 'smashing' station in the living room is definitely required! IKEA RÃ¥skog trolley, I've got my mind set on you, you shall be mine, and remember I noticed you and loved you and had designs on you weeellll before you took over the world! :D

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mari, thanks for leaving the comment on my blog. We'd love to have you join in the swap and I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Sian! Thank you lots! Have sent email earlier this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete